May I have a word?

http://newspaperblackout.com/
Mrs. Toquet: Cinderella... Cin-der-el-la. Such a beautiful word, I like it very much. There are other words I like very much, like windowsill and elbow. El-bow. And I like Apple Dumpling too. Apple dumpling, it's a comical word. Apple Dumpling. Pickle Relish! That has a nice snap to it!
 

I wish I was more articulate and verbose. One of the things that I have enjoyed about blogging more regularily is that it's becoming more of an outlet for my thoughts and I think it's helping me to put those thoughts into words. I'm still not where I would like to be though. 

I'm not a stickler for the rules of language and I love made up words (when they make sense). One of the great things about the English language is that it's a missmatch of so many others and is constantly evolving. This years word of the year (links below) isn't even in the dictionary yet!

I want to learn more words and use them better. I want to take more pleasure in using words that feel good to say and to match them perfectly to what I'm hoping to express. The quote above is one of my favourites  - there are many wonderful words that we take for granted, skipping over them or not ennuciating them (I'm from Portsmouth so have been known to drop my 't's) or we rarely use them at all. I for one have become lazy with it and I'd like that to change.

Some words I like to say:
  • Windowsill (because of the quote)
  • Onomatopoeia
  • Tart
  • Sibilance
  • Park
What words do you like to say?

More Words on Words:


here

Comments