Life After Life



Kate Atkinson is a favourite of a couple of my friends, but I think the only book of hers that I'd read before was Case Histories which is good and I liked it, but I wasn't blown away by it.

"What if we had a chance to do it again and again, until we finally did get it right? wouldn't that be wonderful?" 

Life After Life asks what if we were to relive our life over and over, would you make different choices, would you get deja vu, would you remember the previous times, would you kill Hitler?

It might sound a bit silly but it's very well written and draws you in. Nearly always coming back to the birth story but told from different views, Ursula's story starts to get more fragmented as you go through the book.

"Kate Atkinson's new novel is a box of delights. Ingenious in construction, indefatigably entertaining, it grips the reader's imagination on the first page and never lets go. If you wish to be moved and astonished, read it. And if you want to give a dazzling present, buy it for your friends." (Hilary Mantel)

I know that some people won't read books if they have won an award (this book won the Costa) but make an exception.

Amazon.co.uk
Goodreads
Waterstones

Comments

  1. I bought this book a while ago but I still haven't started it - I really need to soon (I think I'm being put off because it's quite thick)! It does sound really interesting though.

    x

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment