Instructions for a Heatwave



I am fairly sure this is my first Maggie O'Farrell book which is ridiculous really.

Three grown up siblings help their mother track down their missing father after he walks out one day. Under the heat of 1976 the family starts to unravel - can airing out their secrets bring them back together?

It took me a while to get into but once I did i loved it. I think it helps that I have a bit of an Irish family myself (the parents are Irish). When they cover the prejudice against Irish in England, I've heard similar accounts from my own family and going to a Catholic school I know all about the sprawling networks.

'Consolidates her reputation as a writer who depicts relationships with piercing acuity in haunting, intense prose. O'Farrell is a deliciously insightful writer, observing the dynamics of relationships and astutely filleting them to the bone. Her sharp but humane eye dissects every form of human interaction' Independent on Sunday

On Goodreads
On Amazon.co.uk

Comments

  1. I keep noticing this book when I do my food shopping, but I haven't committed to buying it yet - the story sounds really interesting though so I could be tempted!

    x

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment