Gotye

here
Where: Hammersmith Apollo
When: 12th November

Support Acts: 
  • Jonti - all limbs running around the stage mad scientist. Not my usual musical taste but I kinda loved it.
  • The Chap - more craziness, I thought they were a joke act at first but they are great pop rock fun

The Main Event:
Like many other people in the UK my first experience of Gotye was THAT song. I'm guesisng I don't need to type much about how amazing and varied his music is or how talented he is so I'll stop there.

What I didn't expect was quite how good a performer he is. Yes the visuals were impressive (animations from many of his videos, some films and even some new animations played in the background on a big screen), the band were top notch (he regularily thanked and introduced them) and we had a singalong (the audience singing the Kimbra part of Somebody That I Used To Know). But Gotye works the stage well, playing the drums one minute and a syth the next. It's up there for my gig of the year at the moment.

For more about Gotye you should read the bio on his website - it's gold. I'm a bit in love with him now.


Comments